Thursday, September 27, 2018

What I Remember About Circumcision!

I can remember quite a lot of my early childhood. Our family had many, many good times. But what I wanna talk about is circumcision. Ouch!

Now, I don't "think" I remember being circumcised. And, that's probably a good thing. But, I did dream about it (kinda). This would have been when I was quite young, because I remember my brother and I still shared a bedroom. Anyway...

In my dream, I was an infant, and I was being carried into some sort of tent. Like a tepee, I suppose. I remember feeling this place was very, very old. I want to say "ancient", but am not sure if I knew that word at the time.

So anywho, I'm carried into this tent, and it is night, and there are small fires all around. I can see the fires, but not the tents, but they had to be there. And I'm brought inside, naked, and there are women sitting around a fire. I got the sense that these women were generations of relatives, somehow "more important" than my mom and dad. I got the feeling that these women were important to everybody.

So I was handed to one of the women, I can't remember if she was black or white or whatever, as that would be fascinating, and she cradled me in her arms. Another woman took a knife (yes, the kind you are imagining, bone handle, the works), and placed it in the fire. There was no fear, by the way. When it was glowing hot, she brought it to the woman holding me and she circumcised me. I don't remember any blood or anything. So was this dream influenced by my body remembering? Wild!

So, I wrote a poem about it. It's free! It's... It's The Bone!


And They Carried It Through the Streets


My mother held me in a blanket.
Held me in a fever on grandmother’s bed.

I remember the heat – it was intense
and personal as any castration myth.

The fevered dream I had was of scissors,
hot stones and people who smoked herbs

in warm circles. A woman in colored hides and face paint
held a knife to the altar of my brown foreskin.

Another dream, in third grade – the teacher
diced my penis and threw it to me. I caught it,

but not before tiny cubes of flesh
fell through my fingers to the floor. I still wake

bloody sometimes. I cup my crotch
and sweating, spilling seed, wish

for a different interpretation
of Ouranos or the Holy Bible.