Saturday, September 22, 2018

Cry the Gentle Hemisphere

You know what The Bone loves? Nature. I wrote this poem shortly after reading a nifty little novel called "Ishmael," by Daniel Quinn. Ishmael was one of those life-changing books, and I used it in my Comp classes at Wayne State College. My observer one semester told me a student told her it was the first book in college he actually read. It is a very depressing book--at least it was for me.

My cowboy friend and I were talking this afternoon about illness. We were wondering where it came from. I remember, when I was little, seeing my cousins on the ranch (near Johnstown, Nebraska) drink from streams and such. I asked the cowboy if he did that. He had. He's 71 or so. I asked him if he'd do it nowadays. He said there were one or two he'd drink from, but they were "...real remote."

If we were put on earth to be its stewards, it was decided, we are reaping what we sow. Anywho, here's a little poem, along with a recording. The music was composed and performed by Jason Kobinski (Kobinski), back in the mid-90s. It was recorded on a hand-held cassette recorder, so be gentle on the quality.

Oh, and if you go near water--pack out your garbage, yo.

Audio Link

Cry the Gentle Hemisphere

Mighty sun are your lessons done?
Puffy clouds are you done speaking?
Blades of grass is there no class
Where I can learn just what I’m feeling?

Mighty earth do you still speak,
Or are your words and echoes gone?
Solid tree is there no song
That you can sing in breeze to me?

Mighty sky are you alive?
Flowers have you lost your tongue?
Rain is there no gentle hymn,
Or are your quiet tunes all sung?

Lowly man are you so blind
And deaf and mute and so alone
That you can’t hear the earth cry out
Its final sad and solemn poem?

No comments: